Zoloft and Pregnancy

The Food and Drug Administration has warned that women who use the antidepressant drug Zoloft during pregnancy face an increased risk of giving birth to a child with congenital birth defects. Multiple studies have found an increased risk of Zoloft birth defects among children who are born to Zoloft users, regardless of when the drug is taken during pregnancy.

A study published in June 2007 by the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) found that women who took Zoloft during the first trimester of their pregnancy were twice as likely to give birth to a child with certain heart defects—including ventricular outflow tract obstruction defects, hypoplastic left heart syndrome, ventricular septal defects or atrial septal defects. First trimester use of Zoloft may also increase the risk of craniosynostosis, transposition of the great arteries, tetralogy of Fallot, coarctation of the aorta, spina bifida or other birth defects.

When taken during the third trimester of pregnancy, antidepressants such as Zoloft can increase the risk of giving birth to a child with a circulatory condition known as persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN). According to another NEJM study, the use of Zoloft after then 20th week of pregnancy could cause a six-fold increase a child’s risk of being born with PPHN.

Patients who used Zoloft or other antidepressants during pregnancy and gave birth to a child with heart defects may qualify to file a lawsuit and receive compensation. According to lawyers involved with these cases, GlaxoSmithKline—the drug’s manufacturer—has allegedly set aside $2.4 billion to settle lawsuits filed by Zoloft users.

If you or a loved one used Zoloft while pregnant and gave birth to a child with heart defects or other birth defects, you may be eligible to file a Zoloft lawsuit. To receive more information about Zoloft and get a free legal consultation, contact the law firm of Hissey Kientz, LLP by calling toll-free at 1-866-275-4454, or by filling out the free case evaluation form located on this page.

I am currently represented by an attorney
*Required fields